Car accidents can lead to devastating injuries, including shoulder injuries. The shoulder joint is prone to injury due to its flexibility, but it can also be more vulnerable in specific car accident scenarios. Understanding shoulder injuries in car accidents is essential to know what to do in case you experience such an injury. In this blog post, we will discuss the common reasons for shoulder injuries in car accidents, the symptoms you should watch out for, and the types of shoulder injuries that can result from car crashes.
What Are Common Reasons for Shoulder Injuries in Car Accidents?
Most car accidents lead to some form of injury. The cause can typically be attributed to the impact of the collision. Some of the most common reasons for shoulder injuries in these accidents include:
- Direct impact: During a car accident, a direct hit to the shoulder can cause significant damage and injury.
- Seatbelt: Wearing a seatbelt is crucial in reducing the risk of severe injuries in a car accident. Unfortunately, it can also cause shoulder injuries or exacerbate existing ones due to the seatbelt’s placement across the chest and shoulder.
- Airbag deployment: The forceful deployment of an airbag can cause shoulder injuries, such as dislocations and fractures. This can also worsen any pre-existing shoulder injuries.
- Whiplash: A whiplash injury can occur when a vehicle is struck from behind, causing the neck to snap sharply. This can lead to damage in the upper back and shoulders.
What Makes the Shoulder More Vulnerable?
The shoulder joint is the most flexible and mobile joint in the human body, making it highly susceptible to injury. It is a complex structure, consisting of bones, muscles, tendons, and ligaments. Any damage to one of these components can result in severe shoulder injuries. Additionally, the shoulder is also the most commonly dislocated joint in the body.
What Are the Symptoms of a Shoulder Injury from a Car Accident?
Shoulder injuries can occur in car accidents regardless of the severity of the crash. If you have been in an accident, watch out for the following common signs of a shoulder injury:
- Pain or discomfort in the shoulder area
- Swelling or inflammation
- Bruising or discoloration
- Loss of mobility or movement
- Difficulty lifting or carrying objects
- Persistent numbing or tingling sensations
What Are the Types of Shoulder Injuries from Car Crashes?
Car accidents can cause different types of shoulder injuries, some of which include:
- Shoulder dislocation: This occurs when the upper bone of the shoulder dislocates from the socket. It is a highly painful injury and requires immediate medical attention.
- Rotator cuff tear: The rotator cuff is a group of muscles and tendons that hold the shoulder joint in place. A tear in the rotator cuff can be very painful and require surgery to repair.
- Fractures: A car accident can cause a fracture in the shoulder bone, ranging from hairline fractures to multiple bone splinters.
- SLAP tear: The SLAP stands for Superior Labrum from Anterior to Posterior. This injury usually occurs after a blow or positions the arm behind the back, and it requires surgery to fix.
What Are the Financial Costs of a Car Accident Shoulder Injury?
Shoulder injuries from car accidents can cause a significant financial burden. Depending on the injury’s severity, a person may have to undergo surgery, physical therapy, rehabilitation, and may need lifetime medical care. Additionally, a shoulder injury can prevent a person from working, resulting in lost wages and income. These costs can add up quickly, potentially resulting in a substantial financial burden.
Get the Full Compensation You Need with an Experienced Car Accident Attorney in Bellaire
Shoulder injuries in car accidents can be severe and lead to long-term consequences. Understanding the common reasons, symptoms, and types of shoulder injuries can help you know what to look out for in case of an accident. Furthermore, if you or someone you know has suffered a shoulder injury in a car accident, seek the assistance of a car accident lawyer. A car accident lawyer can help with the legal process, file claims, and advocate for your rights. With a car accident lawyer on your side, you can focus on your recovery without worrying about the legal process. Contact The Nava Law Group in Bellaire today and let us help you get the full compensation you need.