Distracted Driving Accident & Injury Attorneys in Houston, Texas
At the Nava Law Group, our Houston car accident attorneys know how easy it is for drivers to become distracted by everyday activities that are occurring on our roadways.
With seemingly unlimited distractions that can take a driver’s eyes off the road, hands off the wheel, and mind away from the task of safely operating their vehicles, these dangerous crashes are becoming increasingly common throughout Texas and the rest of the nation.
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, distracted driving claimed over 3,140 lives throughout the U.S. last year.
Here is what you and your loved ones need to know about distracted driving in Texas, and what you can do to help decrease the crashes, injuries, and fatalities that result from the dangerous activity.
What are the Most Common Forms of Distracted Driving in Texas?
The most obvious answer is cellphones. Texting while driving was outlawed in Texas in 2017, but it has not stopped most offenders from continuing the dangerous practice.
It is common for drivers throughout Houston, Texas to pass other motorists who are looking down, directly at their phones, when they should be focused on the task of driving.
Cellphone use behind the wheel creates the same delayed reaction as driving under the influence of alcohol.
- Other common types of distracted driving in Texas include, but are not limited to:
- In-car electronics, including onboard entertainment, GPS, and stereos systems
- Passengers, including small children who require attention, family members, friends, and even pets that can interfere with the act of driving
- Eating, drinking, or smoking behind the wheel, which takes eyes off the road and hands off the wheel, and increases the likelihood of a crash by 80% according to the NHTSA
Distracted drivers jeopardize the safety — and potentially the lives — of other vehicle drivers and occupants, motorcyclists, pedestrians, and bicyclists.
If you or someone you love has had their lives changed by a distracted driver in Texas, our Harris County car accident lawyers would like to discuss your recovery needs during a free consultation.
How Can I Help Prevent Distracted Driving in Texas?
At the Nava Law Group, our experienced distracted driving attorneys in Texas know that it is impossible for drivers to control another motorist’s behavior.
However, you can take responsibility for your actions while you are behind the wheel.
To help decrease distracted driving accidents, injuries, and fatalities on our Texas roadways, you can:
- Put your phone away when you enter the vehicle, and only retrieve it once you have arrived at your destination
- Avoid eating, drinking, or smoking while inside a moving vehicle
- Finish dressing and personal grooming at home, before you get on the road
- Ask passengers to manage all navigation, maps, or other GPS requirements
- If you are traveling alone, program the onboard GPS before putting the car in drive
- Set all systems — including adjusting the seat, mirrors, radio, or other personal preferences — before putting the car in drive
- Avoid picking up dropped objects or reaching into other sections of the vehicle while driving
- Keep conversations with passengers to a minimum while driving
- Talk with your teenagers about the dangers of distracted driving and enforce consequences for cellphone use behind the wheel
If another activity demands your attention, pull off the road and stop your vehicle in a safe place, instead of trying to attempt it while driving.
Car Accident Resources:
Contact Our Skilled Distracted Driving Attorneys in Houston, Texas Today
If you have been hurt or lost a loved one in a vehicle collision caused by a distracted driver contact our experienced Harris County personal injury lawyers at the Nava Law Group today by calling (713) 218-2400 to discuss the details of your injuries or loss to learn how we can help investigate your case during a free consultation.